Monday 19 December 2016

Pink Unicorn Macaron Carousels

I have so many requests for unicorn macaron carousels that I have decided not to post some of them as separate blog posts because the designs are more or less the same 😅. But this particular one got an extra "Awww..." reaction from me because of the sweet pastel rainbow letterings of the birthday girl's name on it.


It looks so sweet I thought I have to share it :). I filled it the same way as this pink carousel, with lavendar and Earl grey white chocolate filling. Creating the name with royal icing took a much longer time since I have to make 6 different colours of royal icing. Simply pipe the letters on baking sheet and dry thoroughly before peeling off carefully and sticking them onto the carousel with a small dab of royal icing.

Here's one sweet pink unicorn carousel with strawberry white chocolate filling that didn't get posted earlier but I will just include it in this same post so it gets showcased before the year ends.


And here's the last unicorn carousel that I am assembling for the year.. yes it's another pink one! But this is the first carousel where I incorporated 3 different flavours. Salted caramel for the unicorns and lavendar Earl Grey for the carousel structure.


I tried incorporating homemade salted caramel into the white chocolate-vegetable shortening filling base but it wasn't firm enough so the unicorns kept slipping down the pole. I had to make an "artificial" version by adding more sea salt and caramel flavouring to create the salted caramel taste. Glad that I managed to pull it off!

You may refer to this post for details of baking the various sizes of shells and this post for assembly instructions of the carousel.

I used the reduced sugar macaron shell recipe for the carousels. Both regular and reduced sugar recipes can be found here. You may refer to my Creative Baking: Macarons book for a systematic presentation of the basics and complex shaped macarons. You may refer to my video tutorials for macaron basics and piping of complex shapes on the blog too.

With love,
Phay Shing


4 comments: