Wednesday 19 October 2016

'Owls on a Stump' Gula Melaka Sponge & Pudding Cake

This is a cake made with lots of love last minute for my grandma's and aunt's combined birthday celebration :)

Mother and daughter owl macarons on a Gula Melaka sponge and pudding stump cake!

This is one of those die-die must try cakes because cake lovers and haters, young and old all loved it. This cake is rich and full of flavour yet refreshing at the same time. The texture also feels good in the mouth with alternating layers of soft chiffon sponge and refreshing pudding.

This was made last minute because my planned bake had to move a week earlier. It was a challenge to reshuffle my schedule but thank God for helping me to make it in time!

I made the owls along with my purple unicorn macaron carousel so it was easier to squeeze in time for making cake deco.

Just to share some photos of the process...

Piping the owl macaron shells.

I used the regular recipe for the macaron shells. Both regular and reduced sugar recipes can be found here. You may refer to my Creative Baking: Macarons book for a systematic presentation of the basics and complex shaped macarons. You may refer to my video tutorials for macaron basics and piping of complex shapes on the blog too.

Do note that larger shells need longer baking time. About 30-35 minutes and at lower temperature of 115°C at second half of baking time.

Filling the shells with lavendar Earl grey white chocolate ganache that I have in store at home.

Owl macaron cake toppers!

You may refer to my first gula melaka stump cake that I made for my dad's birthday a month ago. It was so lovely that my parents wanted me to make it again for my grandma's birthday. Recipe and assembly is exactly the same so I shall not type it out here again.

Freshly cut layers or gula melaka chiffon sponge cake.

Sponge and pudding stump cake that I just finished assembling!

Remember to pack the macaron deco and sponge and pudding cake in separate airtight boxes/containers or the cake toppers will turn soggy. Assemble macaron deco just before serving.

I forgot to take photos of a slice of the cake. It was very well received and there were no leftovers! Grandma told me it's delicious! It's hard to please her palate at her age so I was really glad that she loved it. My uncle who doesn't eat cake with cream also said it's delicious and finished his portion.

ith lots of love,
Phay Shing

No comments:

Post a Comment